Executive Editor Anne Regan
YA Coordinator Nessa Warin
Interested in submitting to Harmony Ink Press?
Harmony Ink Press is accepting manuscripts for Teen and New Adult fiction featuring at least one strong LGBTQ+ main character who shows significant personal growth through the course of the story. Identifying as part of the LGBTQ+ spectrum can be part of the growth process depicted in the book. We are looking for stories in all subgenres, featuring primary characters across the whole LGBTQ+ spectrum between the ages of 14 and 21 that explore all the facets of young adult, teen, and new adult life. Sexual content should be appropriate for the characters and the story. Manuscripts may contain any level of sexual content; however, excessive, crude or extremely explicit descriptions will be rejected. Sex between a minor and an adult (whether consensual or abuse) will only be accepted if it is implied, off page, has realistic consequences, and overcoming the occurrence contributes to the growth of the character in a positive way.
- LGBTQ+ primary character between the ages of 14 and 21 who shows significant personal growth through the course of the story.
- Authentic voice, unforgettable characters, and powerful world building (even for contemporary stories).
- Novella or novel length (15,000-90,000 words). All manuscripts over 45,000 words will release in print as well as eBook.
- Any subgenre is acceptable with a fresh premise.
- Novel: 45,000 words and up
- Novella: 15-44,999 words
We are currently not accepting manuscripts of fewer than 15,000 words.
Harmony Ink Press is an imprint of Dreamspinner Press. Submissions inquiries of LGBTQ+ themed Teen and New Adult fiction can be sent to our Submissions e-mail: email@example.com. Please indicate HARMONY in the subject line so the submission is given to the appropriate editor for review.
Harmony Ink Press will not publish gratuitous depictions of incest, rape, and other extreme material included for the express purpose of titillating the reader. Download a copy of our Editorial Policies for more information.
We do not accept partial manuscripts or simultaneous submissions. We will review your submission as quickly as we can, and we ask that you respect our editors’ time by not submitting your manuscript elsewhere until we have completed our review. Partial manuscripts will be declined immediately. Thank you for your consideration.
We are currently not accepting manuscripts of fewer than 15,000 words unless they are submitted for inclusion in an announced anthology. See our list of anthologies with open calls for submission for options.
Please submit the following
In the body of the e-mail:
- Your legal name, pseudonym if applicable, and contact e-mail address.
- Working title, series name if applicable.
- Genre and manuscript length.
- General story description in two paragraphs.
- Previous publications. (previous publishing experience is not necessary)
Attach to the e-mail the following:
- A short but complete story summary and/or synopsis.
- The complete manuscript, for all lengths of works.
Formatting Your Submission
Please follow these simple formatting guidelines. Our editors will thank you.
- Submissions will be accepted in .docx, .doc, and .rtf formats.
- Standard 12 pt Times New Roman, 1 inch margins, .5 indent for the first line of each paragraph. 1.5 line spaces between lines. No tabs or spacing to indent, please! Please put the title of the work and the authors name in the header.
- Send your submission to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The word YA Submission must be in the subject line.
- All submissions must be spellchecked and edited for American English grammar and spelling. Regional words and slang are acceptable when appropriate.
- Harmony Ink Press edits works using The Chicago Manual of Style as its primary style reference. Editing your work to these standards prior to publication will greatly facilitate the publication process.
What you can expect from us:
- Unsolicited manuscripts are accepted at any time.
- We will acknowledge all submissions by e-mail in five to seven days.
- Submissions will be read by an editor and you will have a response in six to eight weeks.
- All accepted works must be provided to us as an electronic file.
- Electronic contracts are exchanged via e-mail.
Advances and contract terms:
- All novels are contracted in print and digital formats, which are released simultaneously. A $500-$1,000 advance is paid in a single payment upon receipt of the signed contract. Once the advance is satisfied, novels earn 40% royalties for digital sales and 30% royalties for paperback sales.
- Novellas do not receive an advance and earn 40% royalties for digital sales.
- Copyright remains with the author.